Thursday, March 5, 2009

A.D.D.

Here is a clip from the often insightful program, South Park. (Though much of the show is, this clip is not offensive). To give a background for those who didn't see the episode, the students have all been placed on Ritalin and Chef is the only one who realizes this is wrong. Here is the video he has the parents watch as an alternative (since their kids won't pay attention in school).





Those of you who know me likely already know my opinion on this. But I'll give the quick summary for those who don't...

Maybe (just maybe, I'm not even 100% convinced) there are a few people who actually could use some type of medication to concentrate or even calm down... but for the most part, I think our society as a whole is not willing to just be responsible for themselves. You want to learn? Sit down, shut up, and pay attention, etc.

Obviously that is just a brief overview and I have many, many more observations and thoughts on this, but for right now I don't feel like typing them out.

3 comments:

  1. Anytime a kid isn't doing what his parents or teachers suspect he should be it is grounds for medication its pretty much ridiculous. My mom just struck me with fear so I did what I had to....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, about 2 months ago i would have agreed with this statement... now i don't know.
    i work with a child who has autism/ADHD/Pervasive Developmental Disorder and from being with him, disciplining him, and closely watching him, I'm not sure that i disagree with medication.
    you should see him zaq, it's like he's exploding all day long, so i take him to the gym and we run, then he's unfocused and drained once the energy is released. his parents have tried diet and regrettably medication (a prescribed anti-psychotic). the diet isn't enough and the drugs were too harsh.
    i'm not really sure what i believe, but i know for certain i would support a medication if it would give my client the ability to make friends and refrain from injuring himself.

    also friend, i miss you.
    and another thing, keep aug. 1st open. (too late for save the dates)

    ReplyDelete