Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"christian" movies...

So here are my thoughts on "christian" movies, etc. I started thinking (this time at least) about the topic because of a recent post on http://scassembly.blogspot.com/...



So first... "christian" movies... What makes a movie "christian"? That it is marketed to only Christians? That it is made by only Christians? That it has nothing even remotely possible of being offensive in it? That it is about Christ? That it is cheesy?

When I think of christian movies, I think of things like the Left Behind series, Fireproof, Facing the Giants, etc. When I think of these movies, I think of vomiting. Which, hey, that's just my opinion. If these movies are entertaining to some or have value to some, then great! Good for them. (Obviously someone liked Fireproof, it made millions). My problem is, however, when Christians try to claim these movies are an outreach.

Let's be realistic here. Is there anyone that is not a Christian that will be saved because they saw these movies? Is the purpose really outreach? Most of the people I know think they are a joke. I just have trouble attaching the name of Christ to anything that is done poorly or actually just plain entertainment. If you want a "wholesome", clean family movie, then make one! But just because you want to watch a movie and be entertained, doesn't mean you need to try to mask it as a ministry.

People are saved through God's grace! Through His Spirit's workings in their lives! We need to always be ready to share the hope we have. Always. But to me, it seems, a more effective way to reach people through movies would be to make quality movies and live a life that reflects our God. Too often we try to make our outreach an invitation to a christian movie or a great christian music festival... It can't end there! (Personally, I don't see those things at all effective, but again, that part might just be my opinion). You can't assume that because you invite your friend to see Kutless that they will somehow get saved!

But back to my other point... if you are in a band, if you are an artist... why not instead of making cheesy, horrible junk that will only sell to christians... why not make something beautiful and wonderful that reflects all of the talent God has given you? I see that as a much better reflection. I appreciate someone like Tolkien for this. He could have written a basic christian story and sold it to an all christian audience, but instead he wrote a work of art that is still being enjoyed by millions, even after his death.

People can respect that. And when you are in that position, use that respect to be an influence for good and for God to those around you. (Other examples of this would be Liar, Liar and the obvious Narnia series, etc.)

Same goes for christian bands... why not just be a great band that lives a life in love? Again, never afraid to share the hope they have. But you also don't have to force the issue. It seems artificial, it seems unnatural, people don't buy into that. But if you do as unto the Lord in everything you do, that is where the real results come. Again, the band example... pay your stage crew well, take care of everyone involved, don't be the band wrecking hotel rooms! Don't waste your wealth on extravagent living, but use the influence that your talent has given to do good!

Again, it's not like I'm saying all the people who make these christian movies and bands and etc. are horribly wrong, or even have their hearts in the wrong place. But how much more effective could we be? We say we want to reach the world, but do we?


Feel free to comment, I'm sure I forgot things and/or mistyped a few things!


(also credit to http://www.paulheggie.com/ for contributions made through conversation)



***EDIT
Let it be known, that I am NOT implying that this message relates to our Church services! They should be unashamedly unto God, clearly sharing the Word of God and praising and rejoicing in our God! In this post I am talking only about art and occupations. I mean if I was a trashman, I wouldn't only pick up garbage from Christians and paint a huge cross on my truck. So why then if I make movies, would I only make movies that Christians would watch and put a big cross on the front so they will choose my movie?!

12 comments:

  1. When we say "christian" music or "christian" movies, I think Christians and non-Christians are both thinking of the same music and movies--but the way they view them is really different.

    I side with non-Christians in this, because I didn't grow up with all the cheesy Christian music and movies. I didn't really know about this stuff until my Christian friends in college started bringing it up. And it's just what I said before--cheesy.

    A lot of non-Christians criticized The Passion...and for all the right reasons, I think. The content itself was so controversial that people couldn't take it. I'm OK with that.

    Calling a product "Christian" isn't an excuse for poor writing, poor production, poor acting, poor musicianship, and a false happy-go-lucky depiction of reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post a lot. It encourages me to be a really good artist, just do the job well. I don't have to market or minister to anyone. I simply need to be truthful with myself and with others, revealing all things that are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passion was definitely well-made. I don't know if everybody would agree with me, but I also thought End of the Spear was a very good effort

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://relevantmagazine.com/columns/music/16177-the-christian-music-conspiracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. End of the Spear was amazing.

    Wait...did you just reference Liar, Liar as a good movie example of being Christians but not marketing to only Christians and using all of our talents?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used Liar, Liar as an example of a movie, that has a positive message (the obvious, he saw how his lies were ruining his family/life) and he even gets back together with his wife at the end (implied)... I'm not saying it is a "christian" movie, but I'd much rather see Christians making movies like that... movies that can actually appeal to more than just Christians, while still holding their values at the core

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I agree that the underlayment of the movie has some positive message to it...

    Isn't there a flagrant sex scene in just about anything that Jim Carrey puts his finger on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much of what he's in, yes. And I'm not saying that everything in that movie is OK and good to put in movies, I used it loosely as an example of what is closer to what my idea of what a Christian writer should aim for. (I also don't think many people would say that if you took out the sex scene, and maybe one or two of the worst jokes, that the movie would have suddenly failed, so yes that part was unnecessary). But I have no problem with most of what was in the movie, and still think it is the (general) kind of product I would like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "if you had brownies with just a little crap in them would you still eat them?"

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. maybe... most of the time you don't even realize when there is crap in your food.

    but anyway...

    I never pay much attention to that type of arguement because everyone who has said that kind of thing to me doesn't even follow it themselves... are they watching only Psalty? This is the world, we are humans, every brownie has crap in it. It's all about where you draw the line. When does something cease to be relaxing (or artful or even entertaining) and become harmful and wrong?

    I think that line is different for everyone, obviously there are the extremes, which we could say are probably good for noone, but I think the line itself can be hard to define.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, if I may be so bold...

    And I will say that my brownie quote was meant to be a joke, but I would say this...

    If there are sex scenes...it's out. Dude, us men, the ones reading this page. Not good for us and certainly not for women either. For two different reasons but still...

    Sometimes I wonder though...are we really sensitive to what the Holy Spirit would say about what we watch and listen to? This is NOT a sermon about legalism...

    But if He is supposed to be our guide...I wonder how much we actually take His heart into consideration...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had guessed from the ":)" that the quote was a joke.

    I have no problem with your logic and questions. I don't think what you are saying hits on legalism. Legalism, to me, is setting up a strict set of rules, blah blah blah...

    What you are saying is just going along with what the Bible says (in many places)... First verse that comes to mind...


    Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. -Philippians 4:8


    If we are watching such things, we are thinking about them, I'm sure.



    Again, I share your opinion on the sex scenes, most of them have nothing to do with the movie and make it awkward and wrong and are placed there for reasons that certainly are not good for us. I don't think they should be in any movies, especially not any that a Christian writer/producer/etc. would be in charge of.

    ReplyDelete